What is periodontal disease?
Periodontitis or gum disease is an oral health problem more common than most people will think. There is a process of the dental disease before becoming a gum disease.
First comes gingivitis, which is the inflammation of the gum and less severe oral damage. In effect not all gingivitis cases develop in periodontitis. Therefore, is important to treat it in time. In contrast, with gum disease you might notice receded gums, bleeding, loose teeth, redness and swollen gums.
What causes periodontal disease?
The primary cause of gum disease is the accumulation of bacteria in the mouth. As result of a poor oral hygiene gum pockets are created. These pockets tend to accumulate food remains and plaque that can get infected.
In detail, there are more factors involved than just the lack of teeth hygiene. For example, there are certain factors that increase the risk of developing a periodontal disease, such as:
- Bad habits, that can affect not only your oral health but you overall health. For instance, smoking and any drug are big contributors of this dental problem.
- Family history or illnesses, any sickness that affects the immune system. In general, any type of cancer or HIV, and others.
- Hormone changes during pregnancy can.
How Can Gum Disease Be Prevented?
To prevent the advancement of periodontal disease and improve your oral health, Advanced Smiles Dentistry best dentists have these dental tips for you:
- Brush and floss your teeth daily
- Dental routine checkups every 6 months
- Teeth cleaning every 4 to 6 months
- Healthy diet
- Be aware for possible gum disease signs
- Bleeding while brushing your teeth
- Regular bad breath or taste in your mouth
- Gum recession
- Loose teeth
- Deep pocket formation in the gums
Visit your dentist in Tijuana
If you live near the border in CA, then we welcome you as a new patient. Request an appointment with our bilingual dental staff. We look forward to meeting you and working with you to prevent periodontitis.